Sunday, April 11, 2010

Imitation

I realize it has been quite a while since I've last blogged, but from now on things will be a little different...I'm going to continue my observations as usual, but instead of blogging about everything that I observe, I'm going to chose one or two key thing, such as behaviours and try and do some more research on them.

The thing that I really noticed over the past few weeks was how kids copied other kids' behaviours. The first time I noticed it was when one of the older girls got very excited and put her arms in the air and started yelling and jumping around. No more than ten seconds later, her younger brother, who is only 22 months, was doing the exact same thing! Another example would be when the kids are doing art activities: I've noticed that when one child draws a certain pattern, there is usually at least one other child trying to copy her (the specific example I have in my mind involved two girls, both 4 years old).

So...I decided that I wanted to know more about why kids were copying other kids.

The first thing I did was talk to my mom about what I had noticed. She told me that the technical term for this sort of copy-catting is imitation. Right off the bat, I had learned something new! Although I didn't find out exactly WHY children imitate one another, I did find some other information that I found quite interesting.

Imitation: the copying of patters of activity and though of other groups or individuals

Imitation starts right from birth. Babies learn to talk, stand and eventually walk all without formally being taught how so really, when you think about it, how else would they learn if they didn't copy what they see all around them? Another logical point is that, as children age and develop, their ability to imitate develops. Around 8 months, they only imitate simple actions and expressions at the time of the action, but around 18 months children are able to imitate actions with more than one step as well as simple actions that they observed earlier. Similarly, at 36 months, they are able to imitate more complex actions that they observed at an earlier time. As they get older (up until around 7 years old), children mimic almost everything in their environment. That means not only sounds and gestures, but also the attitudes and values of the people around them.


References
Imitation
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imitation?&qsrc=

Waldorf Education- The Essential Phases Of Child Development
http://www.whywaldorfworks.org/02_W_Education/child_development.asp

Foundation: Imitation
http://www.cde.ca/gov/sp/cd/re/itf09cogdevfdimit.asp

3 comments:

  1. I think this will be a lot more useful for YOU, Kaity! I'll do some thinking about things you should probably be looking for, too. That way you've got a focus.

    What ages does the preschool accept?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year our youngest is 18 months now and the oldest turned 5 in february.

    Today I had an epiphany...I was thinking about imitation and I realized that the question "why do kids imitate other kids?" isn't a very good question. The better question would be "what are the benefits of imitation?" I realized that kids imitate other kids because that is how they learn! I was thinking about how I talk exactly like my mom when I'm talking to the kids at the preschool...I talk like her because that's what I've observed...I'm imitating!!!

    I believe the little bulb above my head is now alight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. That's perfect! It's also why our own kids grow up to be so much like us. And why couples have so many similar characteristics. And why social groups (teens, adults, anyone) are similar. And why Meredith can tell a student from BC across the street at her campus in Ontario - West Coasters act a certain way. It's just so much more obvious with the wee ones, I think. But watch for it in older groups, too!

    ReplyDelete